selection of the models for the subsequent generations in GeneXproTools
  • I have used your GeneXproTools 5.0 (30 day trial version) for learning the software. I have a used it for regression equation fitting between a "Y" variable and 10 "X" variables. 

I started with 30 chromosomes as my initial population and evolved 10,000 generations (stopped at 10,000 generations and did not specify any fitness threshold).

My question is how does the software select the models for the subsequent generations. I know that the fittest model will be selected, but I am not sure what criterion is used for this and how many models will be selected for the next generation? 

For an example in my initial population I have 30 models, how does the software select the best models for mating to reproduce the next generation? Does the software select all 30 models for producing next generation? In other words, in each generation 30 new models are generated or the number of models in each generation is decided on a certain fitness threshold which is predefined in the software?

Your kind comments are highly appreciated.
  • Hi Sachindra,

GeneXproTools selects the models for subsequent generations by roulette-wheel selection. Additionally, it also selects the best-of-generation model by elitism. For more information on selection and replication of GeneXproTools models, see the chapter "The Basic Gene Expression Algorithm" in my book "Gene Expression Programming: Mathematical Modeling by an Artificial Intelligence", the first edition of which is freely available online at:

http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Introduction.htm

Hope this helps.

Candida Ferreira

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagged